Monday, December 1, 2014

Filling the Chapel

I love being a missionary. I really, really do. There are times when we are walking and we are tired, hungry, and discouraged, but after we work through those times and we get to appreciate the good times. I love being a missionary, it is one of the best things that I have ever done in my life. We see little miracles daily that make all of the hard work worth it. 

So this last week, we had a week of getting people to Sacrament Meeting. We set our goals, and decided we were going to try and get as many investigators as we could in church. We worked out every way possible that we were going to do it and decided to pray and trust that God would do the rest. Sunday came around and it was raining, hard. I was worried because we were going to pick one of our investigators up to take her to church and was worried she might not come because of the rain. We get to her house and she walked down the stairs with an umbrella and rain boots, completely ready to come to church. Her name is Rosa, and she is awesome. She´s from Bulgaria, and she is getting baptized the twentieth of this month. So we get to the chapel and we are a little disappointed because nobody else had showed up. We sat down up front, and sat through meeting. When we stood up, we saw that two of our investigators had walked in late, Tekki, with her family, and Preston, an investigator from Nigeria. It was amazing. On top of that, Susannah, a less active member that we have been working with to come to church came! She came with her son, Pedrito, who always gives us drawings. It was incredible. 

Henry is a machine. He is another one of our investigators who will be baptized on the twentieth. He is AMAZING: He loves the gospel, and is incredibly prepared. We just got out of a lesson with him, and he is just amazing. 

We had Thanksgiving this week. Thanksgiving is not commonly celebrated in Spain, but we got together as a zone and made our own little Thanksgiving. Elder Sharp and I invited the other Elders over to our piso and we made food as well. (Actually, it was mostly Elder Sharp doing the cooking. I was very impressed, but cannot cook to save my life). It was really fun, but it also gave us time to think about what we are grateful for, and it helped me realize how much we have been blessed. We get two years that we get to spend in Spain and we get to do it in the best way possible. We get to tell people about a message that brings happiness. I cannot think of a better way to spend my time. I love being a missionary. This work is really the best way to find happiness. One of my favorite quotes is ¨The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others¨ (Gandhi). I believe missionary work is exactly that. Losing ourselves in the service of others, and by so doing, finding ourselves and our own testimonies as well.

I love being out here. It is incredible. I know that this church is true and that this is the path that leads to happiness in our lives. It is what brings LASTING happiness for everyone and I am so glad I get to share it with all of my brothers and sisters in Spain. 

IT´S A GREAT DAY TO BE A MISSIONARY!

Elder Weenig

No comments:

Post a Comment