Monday, February 2, 2015

This is Awesome.

Today, a monkey was on my shoulder and it was fantastic.

We just got back from climbing the Rock of Gibraltar. Pretty amazing. We saw Africa, played with monkeys, and got some awesome views of the Mediterranean. I would love to send pictures....but this computer doesn´t have an input. 

La Linea and Gibraltar. They are two completely different worlds. Completely. The Spanish side, La Linea, is very, very Spanish. A lot of Spanish people, and typical Spanish houses all throughout the streets. It´s a cool city, the church here, La Iglesia de la Inmaculada, is beautiful. The city really is just a very good looking city. I am very grateful to serve here. 

Gibraltar, is completely different. It is very, very British. Very, very British. They use pounds and have red telephone booths all throughout the streets. It´s fantastic. The member family that lives there, a young couple, took us out for fish and chips the other day. It was quite good, old chap.

This last week for us was different. We are building our area and we´ve definitely seen progress. We are working with our branch president to help get more people out to church. It´s hard, because La Linea is a forty-five minute bus ride to the church, but I know we will see miracles.

This last week has taught me a lot. I´ve learned and grown a lot. It has not been easy. But I am grateful. We´re trying our hardest. One thing that I have learned is that God doesn´t necessarily give us immediate relief. One of the attributes that he wants us to cultivate is patience. Patience takes time. So we´ve just got to do what we can and not worry about the things that we can´t control.

We walk a lot here in La Linea. It´s a large city and we have to go and find addresses of people, so we walk a lot. We were joking one night that we already had our running done for the next morning, but had the intention to get up and run up to the bull ring and back. But waking up the next day, our feet ached, and we decided to stay inside the apartment for exercise that morning.  But I do want you to know how much this experience is teaching me. It´s hard sometimes, and sometimes we are discouraged. but I want you to know that Christ is in the details of our lives. He really, really is. No matter what. I have come to rely on Him when I haven´t felt like I could walk another step, or if I just wanted to go in for the night. Because thanks to Him, we can have new starts, blank pages, and become better people. This is my time to serve him with all of my might, mind and strength. I´ve realized that this mission isn´t about me at all. It´s about helping others come to Christ. That´s what we´re going to do. Throughout all the hard times, throughout all of the difficulties that we have to go through, He will be walking with us step by step. That´s why I´m so grateful to be a missionary. That is why I´m so grateful for this church. I know that I have a best friend who wants me to succeed and who will never leave me alone. He will give us the strength to do ALL things, because sometimes we are asked to do the impossible. 

I love being a missionary. So much. I can´t believe I´ve already been out for six months. It makes me a little sad to think that a fourth of my mission is already done. But it´s been a great six months. The next eighteen will be even better. Thank you all for everything that you do for me. I love you all so much. I really, really do. 

It´s a great day to be a missionary!

Elder Weenig

No comments:

Post a Comment