Monday, June 22, 2015

Ronda!

We´ve had a crazy last week. Another missionary came and stay with us. It was a surprise, so we kind of impromptu planned what to do. It was a really cool experience.


Today was probably one of the coolest pdays that I have had. We had the opportunity to go to Ronda, which is an old Spanish city up in the mountains. It´s famous for it´s massive bridge that spans between the two parts of the town. The bridge kind of looks like it is a part of Lord of the Rings. It was kind of my heaven. I love history and this town was literally overflowing with it. I love my mission. I love the Spanish language, and want to use it for the rest of my life, and I get to be in a place that is chock full of history. It´s amazing. Also, the Spanish people, I love them. Legend has it that JRR Tolkien based the hobbits off the Spanish people. If only second breakfast was a tradition here in Spain.

To update on our ward situation, we are now currently going on a switch between wards. We are technically assigned to the Mijas International Branch. The members there are amazing. I really am blown away by some of their conversion stories. We have people from Belgium, South Africa, Iran, the Philippines, Norway, England, and last, but not least... America. It´s a really cool experience. Anyway. We are changing wards because of a change in our area. Our proselyting area, when I got here, was in a city called Benalmádena. However, it is a 20 minute commute by car. President Deere just recently changed our area to Fuengirola, which is the city where we actually live. We are starting to see growth. It is going to be a lot of work taking on a new area with a lot of members and work from other missionaries, so we´re working hard to make sure we utilize time in the office to the maximum so that we have time to get out and work. It´s definitely a new challenge. 

One thing that I have come to realize here in Fuengirola is that God has got a plan for us. When I first got called into the office, I was discouraged, because it had a reputation for not having much opportunities to proselyte. So when we got here, we set a goal to work and change that. We have seen a lot of opportunities to work here. But it was not like that at first. I remember there were a couple of nights that I felt like something was just telling us to stop. That it was not going to work and that it would just be easier to stay in the office all day. I was worried. I did not know if it would even be possible. Through a lot of prayer, there has been a lot of improvement, and we are going to continue to work hard. So that´s why I know that God has a plan. I didn´t know (and still don´t) why I was asked to be in the office, but I know that it has been a blessing and I know that we will continue to see even more miracles. The more difficult a situation, the greater the success. We will strive to do our best.

Hey and cool news from La Línea! Antonio´s been passing the sacrament these past couple of weeks!!!!! So cool. Also, Rosa (from Alicante) talked to me this last week, and they have gone to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. SO COOL. I love this work. I´m so glad I get to be a missionary. It´s easily one of the best things I have been able to do. Thank you for all of the support and love that you give me. Thank you all for making it a great day to be a missionary. 

Elder Weenig
 Birdseye view of Benalmádena and Fuengirola

Really cool church in Ronda. 

Some of the most AMAZING architecture that I´ve seen. Highlight is the Ronda bridge, which is essentially this enormous bridge spanning a chasm in between the two sides of the town. 


With Elder Fife, my companion, and Hermana Nielson, a senior missionary serving in the office with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment