Monday, June 6, 2016

D&C 18:15-16

This last week was really packed. Transfer weeks always are, but this week especially. There have been a lot of things going on. Like I said last week, we had transfers this last week. Elder Smith went to Torremolinos, and Elder Pesce arrived from Lorca. He is from Santiago, Chile and is great. He is also my oldest companion, being five years older than I am. He's awesome. We are going to have a great
transfer together.
Really cool story from this week. The sisters from Crevillente (a small town close to Elche) have been teaching a couple for two years now. The couple have wanted to be baptized for a long time, and have effectively been "dry members". The problem was a series of problems with paperwork for them to get married. Anyway, last weekend, they were married, and their baptism followed two days after. The wife had always wanted an elder to baptize her, so the sisters asked if I would be willing. It was a really cool experience, because it really showed that we all have our own piece to play in the process of missionary work. Whether we are the people that first contact them on the street, or the missionaries who are present after two years of teaching, it is the same thing. It was a really big honor to get to baptize one of them. We all have really important parts to play. I guess that really is what being a missionary is all about. Understanding that we are just the tools that God uses. It's a cool concept, and it's something that I don't fully understand or accept at times, but I'll keep working on it.
Another update on Mari. She is fantastic but unfortunately has been falling sick for the past two weeks. She's getting a lot of opposition and a lot of problems, but slowly but surely she is working on it.
We were at the Bishop's house yesterday. All of the missionaries are invited and allowed to be at his house at the same time once a month. They are fantastic and really just a good example of the members here in Elche. They are really ready and willing to work side by side with us, which is something that is invaluable to us as missionaries. They are great, and also cook very well.
One of my favorite lessons from this week actually happened on a park bench. Wilmer, the guy that I mentioned last letter can only meet on park benches because of some pretty big opposition from the people with whom he is living. He is a great guy. He has a lot of faith, and is going through a hard time. At the beginning of the lesson, he tells us, "Elders, you can say all you like in this discussion, but after this, we are never meeting again." Which, you know, is a kinda devastating thing to hear from an investigator. We had planned to teach about the plan of salvation, and as we taught, he started to open up a lot. He told us a lot more about why he was feeling resistant to meeting with us, and told us about some of the difficult things that he had passed through. The poor guy. But at the end of the appointment, he turned and said, "You know what? I think we will meet again." ...and he said he'd call (Elder Calhoun's faith don't fail me now). But it really showed me that the message that we teach really can change people. It has that power. We just have to teach it in the correct way and with the spirit. This week has gone great. We are working really hard in our area and are seeing a lot of progress. I'm really, really grateful for this time that I have and to be serving in Elche. It was hard to leave Granada, but I know that I was brought here for a reason. 
Yes!!!!! Jhizel went through the temple! The second time in white! She is amazing and has a lot of faith. I love the mission. And am really grateful for the people that I've met so far and that I will keep meeting.
Anyway, I love you all. Things are going very well here. I really love this.

Scripture for the week: Doctrine and Covenants 18:15-16. Read it. It's what makes missionary work worth it.
I love you all. Here is a picture of where we went to eat today. All you can eat Italian food. (Elder Pesce's grandpa is from Italy, so we had to go)
It's a great day to be a missionary!
Elder Weenig 


Dinner at the Bishop's house

Jhizel at the temple

 This is where we ate today. All you can eat Italian food.
(Elder Pesce's grandpa is from Italy, so we had to go) 

With Elder Smith at the airport

No comments:

Post a Comment